CSI Ingenieros was hired to conduct a study that involved the development and provision of a model of modal allocation of cargo transportation. The project comprised the analysis of the use of the transportation infrastructure to determine investment priorities according to the available resources. This was done using the most suitable analysis techniques and tools for demand allocation.
The specific purposes of the consulting service included:
- Representation of the main cargo transportation flows using the country’s infrastructure, including the identification of the main products with their origin and destination.
- Measurement of demand of transportation and logistics services.
- Diagnose of current infrastructure offer and transportation services, meeting their demands.
- Provision of a simulation mathematic model of the main transportation flows identified in the infrastructure. This model could be updated according to fluctuations in demand/offer of transportation, including foreseen impacts both for short and long term (up to 10 years).
- Analysis of the supply and demand of the transportation infrastructure.
- Analysis and determination of freight costs and prices.
- Determination of features of the mode choice.
- Development of a Modal Allocation Model in VISUM platform for the flow of goods.
- Calibration and operation of the Modal Allocation Model.