CSI Ingenieros was hired to carry out a sanitation and urban drainage Master Plan for the city of Montevideo, capital of Uruguay (with a population of 1,4 Million). The Sanitation Master Plan developed between 1992 and 1995 is the main background
of the current Master Plan to be carried out. The latest is aimed to address areas related to urban development, water resources, sanitation and drainage, environment, institutional strengthening as well as economic and financial aspects.
Based on the diagnosis of the current situation of the areas, the Plan objective is to establish the foundations for the development of sanitation and drainage systems with a view to 2050. One of the main challenges is the incorporation of watercourses and urban drainage in general, as a fundamental aspect in the strategic planning.
In view of the aforementioned, different alternatives for future action are analyzed, and preliminary designs of the works planned for a first stage are carried out.
The main lines of action of the Plan are focused on:
- Restoration of the old system, especially of old networks.
- Expansion of the system to increase its coverage in outlying areas.
- Actions in relation to watercourse management and its quality.
- Actions to mitage/eliminate floods in urban areas.
- Actions to improve waste disposal systems.
- Actions to improve organization, institutional and financial management